Gallery 400 and the School of Art and Art History are excited to announce a public exhibition opportunity open to all current University of Illinois Chicago BFA and MFA students. Once per semester, a current student will be selected by committee to exhibit a site-specific work on the front wall in the lobby of the Art and Exhibition Hall.
This initiative is meant to showcase the work of UIC students and enhance the visual presence of the lobby. The winning project will have 24-hour visibility in this prominent location.
Winners will receive a $200 honorarium.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Current BFA and MFA students at the University of Illinois Chicago. Alumni are not eligible.
Proposals will be reviewed by Gallery 400’s staff and Art and Art History faculty and students. Criteria for review include the excellence of the applicant’s past work and the strength, impact, and feasibility of the proposed project.
WHAT TYPES OF PROJECTS ARE ELIGIBLE?
- New work
- Visual arts projects that fit in the lobby space without obstructing the entryway or violating fire codes
- Visual arts projects that are conceived and carried out by a small group and/or collective (everyone in the group must be current students)
- Due to security issues, no monitors can be displayed in this space
Please complete the application below and submit as a hard copy to Gallery 400 or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will be required to complete their work by a date determined by Gallery 400 (please see below for an approximate exhibition schedule). The winning entry will be responsible for installing and deinstalling their work. Artists will have one week to complete their project and will be responsible for providing their own materials.
Winners will be notified within one month of the application deadline. At that time, Gallery 400 will communicate final project timeline and detailed installation guidelines.
- Spring: December 15, 2023
- Summer: April 12, 2024
- Fall: August 2, 2024
- Spring: January 8 – May 3, 2024
- Summer: May 13 – August 2, 2024
- Fall: August 26 – December 13, 2024