Flag created by Aay Preston-Myint, on view April 1-8, 2011.
Initiated by Chicago-based artist Philip von Zweck in 2005, Temporary Allegiance is an ongoing project hosted by Gallery 400. Temporary Allegiance consists of a 25 ft. flagpole on UIC's campus located at 404 South Peoria Street, between Cuppa Hall and the Eisenhower Expressway, adjacent to the UIC/Halsted stop on the Blue Line. Simultaneously a work of Zweck’s and an exhibition platform open to the public, the flagpole is a vehicle for free expression. Anyone in the Chicago area is invited to sign up to fly a flag for a week’s time.
For submission guidelines and additional information, please visit visit the Gallery 400 facebook page.
Please email Graduate Assistant Ionit Behar at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a week for your flag, and be sure to include "Temporary Allegiance" in the subject line of your email.
- Flags must be presented in person to a Gallery 400 staff member at least seven days in advance of the allotted time slot. View gallery hours here.
- All flags must be determined physically safe by Gallery 400 and must attach to the halyard at two points; grommets are strongly recommended as the fastening method.
- Avoid submitting overly heavy flags, or flags made of nonpliable materials, as they may detach from the pole or otherwise be considered unsafe; if you would like to test the pole before submitting your flag, please contact the gallery for an appointment at email@example.com.
- Individuals must allow their name to be posted at the base of the flagpole and their phone number or email address to be available for visitors requesting contact information from Gallery 400 staff.
- Flags fly for one week at a time, beginning Friday at 12pm and ending the following Friday at 11:59am.
- Flags not retrieved from Gallery 400 after 30 days may be discarded.
- Please keep in mind that the location has high winds and many flags rip, especially along seams or at the points where they attach to the halyard. Gallery 400 is not responsible for any damage incurred to the flag while flying.