Image: Flag created by Aay Preston-Myint, on view April 1-8, 2011.
Temporary Allegiance is a 25-foot flagpole on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) at 404 South Peoria Street, between UIC's CUPPA Hall and the Eisenhower Expressway/UIC-Halsted CTA Blue Line station. It is both an artwork by Philip von Zweck and an exhibition opportunity for others.
Positioned on state land and facilitated by a state institution (Gallery 400, UIC) this project was conceived as a state-endorsed platform for the freedom of expression.
Artists and non-artists in the greater Chicago area are invited to sign up to fly a flag on the Temporary Allegiance flagpole for one week at a time.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a week of flagpole time and be sure to include "Temporary Allegiance" in the subject line of your email.
- Flags must be presented in person to a Gallery 400 staff member at least seven days in advance of the allotted time slot. View gallery hours here.
- All flags must be determined physically safe by Gallery 400 and must attach to the halyard at two points; grommets are strongly recommended as the fastening method.
- Avoid submitting overly heavy flags, or flags made of nonpliable materials, as they may detach from the pole or otherwise be considered unsafe; if you would like to test the pole before submitting your flag, please contact the gallery for an appointment at email@example.com.
- Individuals must allow their name to be posted at the base of the flagpole and their phone number or email address to be available for visitors requesting contact information from Gallery 400 staff.
- Flags fly for one week at a time, beginning Friday at 12pm and ending the following Friday at 11:59am.
- Flags not retrieved from Gallery 400 after 30 days may be discarded.
- Please keep in mind that the location has high winds and many flags rip, especially along seams or at the points where they attach to the halyard. Gallery 400 is not responsible for any damage incurred to the flag while flying.