All Tomorrow’s Cities considers iterations of the future from a variety of points past. Historically, we like to build more than maintain. There is always more motivation behind enterprise than follow through. Abandoned shops and giant box stores sit empty next to overgrown lawns and rusted ornaments, sites of once grand fairgrounds. Steeped in atmospheres of displacement and apprehension, alongside speculative hubris and blind optimism, the works in this program collectively address our human history of world modeling. Sometimes utopian, sometimes dystopian—what lies ahead is imagined by heads of state, mall planners, Futurists, hedonists, Mayans, and modernists.
- Cyprien Gaillard, Cities of Gold and Mirrors, 2009, video, 9:00 min.
- Bradley Eros and Tim Geraghty, Trans Trans (Transformers Transformed), 2009, video, 12:00 min.
- Pavel Medvedev, The Unseen, 2008, video, 30:00 min.
- Michael Robinson, Victory Over the Sun, 2007, video, 12:30 min.
- Ben Rivers, We The People, 2004, video, 1:00 min.
- Sam Green and Carrie Lozano, The World’s Largest Shopping Mall, 2009, video, 13:00 min.
- Brian Boyce, World’s Fair World, 2002, video, 9:40 min.
Total Running Time: 86:70 min.